If you want your family to make it through a blackout in comfort then a backup generator for your kitchen is a must. In an area where power outage is common, a backup generator that runs on gas can do wonders. Losing power frequently and for a long duration of time can result in days without cooling or heating system, broken and frozen pipes, and rotting food. Without a backup generator in your kitchen, you will be unable to use everyday kitchen appliances like toaster, coffee machine, garbage disposal, etc. Thus, if you live in a place that is prone to frequent power outages, buying the right backup generator for your kitchen or your home is most certainly the right decision.
PERMANENT OR PORTABLE?
Mainly there is two types of backup generator you can go with: the permanent or standby generator or a portable generator. You have to take into consideration a lot of factors when deciding which one to go for.
If you go for the standby one then it will be installed permanently outside your home. This type of backup generator usually RUNS ON GAS (natural) or propane. The generator will turn on automatically within just seconds when you will lose power. So, within seconds it can supply electricity for your kitchen. The standby generator’s cost is quite significant compared to what it has to offer. For those living in flood-prone or hurricane-prone areas, a standby generator will definitely be a worthwhile investment.
On the other hand, a portable generator happens to run on diesel or gasoline. However, propane and natural gas models are also available. If you need occasional or limited backup power then a portable generator will be the best option for you. They have gained their popularity all thanks to its low cost and easy mobility. However, there is some safety issue that you need to take into consideration as well.
In the end, your buying decision should be based on:
- The size of your kitchen.
- The types and number of appliances and equipment you have in your kitchen that will require power, and
- Your geographical location.
BENEFITS OF STANDBY GENERATOR
- Besides keeping the light on, one of the main reasons as to why you need to have a backup generator will have to be the fact that it can supply power to essential kitchen appliances without which you and your family members cannot live by. Your cooking appliances, refrigerator, washer, and dryer can run smoothly even in a power outage if you have a standby generator with you.
- You do not have to throw out food items as nothing will be spoiled.
- A standby backup generator that runs on gas can be connected to a home’s natural gas line. So, you do not have to deal with fuel tanks with this sort of generator.
- They are installed outside the home. So, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is removed with such a generator.
- It will most certainly add value to your home especially in areas that experience extreme weather conditions.
- This type of generator can prevent major damages to your home. It can prevent the bursting of pipes and even reduces the risk of flooding as it can even provide power to a sump pump.
- You and your family can have peace of mind as all appliances and lights will be working even during a power outage. With it, you can live comfortably even during a trying time.
Installing a standby backup generator that runs on gas needs knowledge of building codes. It also requires you to get permits. Thus, it will be best to leave the installation to the professionals.